Bringing quality education to the Lakota People

New Students

Thank you for choosing Oglala Lakota College!

Welcome to Lakota Country!


Oglala Lakota College pursues an open door policy in which all qualified students will be admitted without regard to race, religion, origin or political belief. Enrollment in the college does not guarantee admission to any specific program, nor to any and all courses of study. To qualify for full access to college level courses, students must demonstrate minimum 10.1 grade level of reading comprehension as indicated by college readiness assessment (see policy 70-300).

A. Admissions

All applicants seeking admission to Oglala Lakota College must send each of the items listed below BEFORE, he/she will be admitted:

  1. Complete Application and declare a major. Students may only declare one major at a time while attending OLC.
  2. Furnish a copy of your high school transcript, or certificate of high school equivalency (GED Diploma) MANDATORY. Students with a Bachelor's Degree or higher will be required to submit documentation verifying the degree awarded.
  3. Transfer students must send official college transcripts.
  4. Verification of Tribal Enrollment if the student is a tribal member of a Federally Recognized Tribe. Complete College Readiness Assessment (see policy 70-300). Transfer students who do not have approved transfer college credit for English Composition or Algebra must complete the college readiness assessment.

Any student falsifying information is subject to being dropped from all classes.

Oglala Lakota College does not admit under the Ability to Benefit criteria.

B. Readmission

Former students of Oglala Lakota College not enrolled for two semesters or longer, must apply for readmission to the Registrar. Official transcripts of additional work completed at any other college, must be submitted.

C. Admission of Veterans

Veterans wishing to attend the college may use their veterans educational benefits. New students need to pick up an application at the Registrar's office. Continuing students should notify the Registrar to fill out an enrollment certification for the semester (s) he/she will be attending OLC.

The veteran will need to stop in at the Registrar's Office and sign the enrollment certification a month before classes begin to receive certification and authorization prior to registration in order to receive monthly subsistence without delay.

D. General Education Development Classes

Students who have not completed high school and who do not have a G.E.D. may enroll for free G.E.D. classes at any of the college centers throughout the reservation. For further information, contact the college center director or tutor in your local district.

Registration for course

Registration is held at each one of the eleven district college centers throughout the Pine Ridge Reservation, the Cheyenne River Reservation, and at the Rapid City Extension. There is general registration for one week at each local district center, the Cheyenne River Reservation and the Rapic City Extension and pre-registration beginning in May and November for the fall and spring semesters. One week after registration will be the week for processing records.

To be considered for online registration the applicant must supply the counselor with certified copies of degree of Indian blood, high school transcripts and college transcripts. Applicants who have a GED certificate must submit a copy of their certificate. Once these documents are received by the Registrar's Office the student shall be assigned an ID and password that they use at the following website in order to register for classes.