- 1 How to Log Into OLC'S Moodle and VirtualCampus
- 2 Congratulations! You are now ready to start your Distance Learning Course !
How to Log Into OLC'S Moodle and VirtualCampus
Enter the OLC Distance Learning Website
- OLC uses the online classroom system called Moodle.
- Enter the following web address into the address bar of your web browser
- My username is __________________________________
- My password is: __________________________________
Note: We recommend you bookmark this address for easy and frequent access.
Note: We also recommend that FireFox be used instead of Internet Explorer. Moodle and VirtualCampus simply works better with FireFox.
- After you enter moo.olc.edu into the above URL box (web address box) for the Moodle Web Site – hit Enter
- This will take you to the “Opening Page”
- Click on the button “Login” in the upper right hand corner of the screen
- A prompt will appear – asking for your USERNAME and PASSWORD. Your User Name or ID will be given to you by your instructor (via email) or by the registrar. At OLC, your USERNAME is usually your first initial followed by your last name and student ID Number. For instance, the USERNAME for Mary Jane would be “mjane4398” Use all lower case. Your initial PASSWORD will be the same as your USERNAME. If you name contains more than two words such as Mary Jane Smith your USERNAME would be your first initial followed by the first word in your last name and the first initial in the last word in your last name and then your student ID Number. For instance, the USERNAME for Mary Jane Smith would be “mjanes4398” Use all lower case.
- Once you have entered your USERNAME and PASSWORD, click on the “login” button.
NOTE: User Names are NOT case sensitive but passwords ARE. We recommend that you always use lower case.
The First Time you Log in to Moodle or VirtualCampus:
To make sure your instructor can communicate with you, and for your own security you need to enter your personal information and a new password the first time you login.
VirtualCampus will require a password change the first time you successfully login.
Your “My Courses” Screen
After you log on, you will see the “My Courses” in the center column of your screen and the Moodle / VirtualCampus system presents a list of on-line course that you are registered. This is your main entrance to “Moodle / VirtualCampus” page. The list of all on-line courses will disappear from the center column of your screen after you have log on to Moodle / VirtualCampus. If you are registered for more than one course, each of your courses will be listed in your "My Courses".
Change Your Personal Information
If this is your first time entering Moodle, you need to set up a new password and input your personal information into the system. Instructors use this information to contact you for the duration of the course, so it is vital that you keep your information up to date. If you change your email address during the semester and your instructor sends out a notice changing the due date for an assignment, you will not receive that notice. (We prefer that you use your OLC email address, please see A Note about Email Addresses below.)
- Update Your Password
- Select a class and go into the course, then click on “Participants” from the “People” box on the left of the screen, then click on your name from the list of classmates, then click the "change password" button at the bottom of your profile information. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- We STRONGLY RECOMMEND you write down your password and choose something easy to remember. It is very frustrating for you (and your instructor) if you have to go several days without being able to use the system because you forgot your password. Please remember that a new password will prevent your Moodle site from being hacked.
- Update Your Personal Information
- Select a class and go into the course, then click on “Participants” from the “People” box on the left of the screen, then click on your name from the list of classmates, then click the "Edit Profile" tab on the top of the screen. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Enter your personal information. You do not have to enter a Student ID, or information about job title, etc. But you MUST enter your correct email address and contact information, especially your phone number, so your instructor or the registrar can get in touch with you in case of emergency. When you have finished updating your profile, click on the "Update Profile" button. (Again, please see A Note about Email Addresses below.)
A Note About email Such as Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail, etc.
Many students have their own email addresses. If you regularly check your email (every single day because you work at a computer or are on every night at home) and prefer to only have one account, then use that as your email address in an OLC Moodle class.
However, if your primary email address is a free email account with Hotmail or Yahoo or some other free provider, you will need to use your assigned OLC email account in order to communicate with your instructor. This is because these free email services impose limits on the quantity of email you can receive and will “return” message if you do not clean up your inbox. They also limit the size of incoming messages and attachments. This can severely limit your ability to communicate with your instructor.
This is why OLC provides an OLC email address to every student who registers. Please plan on using your OLC email address for your classes unless you have an email address that is not a “free” email address (i.e. a work email address such as email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or an ISP address like email@example.com) and you check it EVERY DAY.
If you are also registered in traditional courses please be sure to check your OLC email account frequently as that is the address available to faculty through Jenzabar, and may be the only address that they use to contact the students in their classes. Changing your default address in Moodle does NOT change it in Jenzabar.